While we may have just missed cherry blossom viewing season, Tokyo is beautiful any time of year. When in the city, here are a few Tokyo shopping tips to keep in mind.
- Most stores offer tax-free shopping to tourists spending over ¥5000. Don’t forget to have your passport on hand while shopping.
- Carry some cash with you: not everyone accepts credit cards (especially markets and small stores)
- Bargaining may be the norm across most of Asia, but it’s not the done thing in Japan. The only place I suggest you try your luck is a flea market.
- Buy a vintage Kimono from a flea market.
- Tokyo is short on space so many shops are above/below street level. There is so much more than meets the eye.
- Cherry blossom viewing (hanami) season is generally the very end of March/early April.